Has anybody tried Stem Cell injections ? My husbands doctor thinks it will help with his pain .
Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.
Hi @jmcamden9687. I apologize for the delay in this response. I am going to share a few different discussions on Connect that has members talking about stem cell therapy. Some of these discussions may be fore different diagnoses, but they do have members talking about their experiences receiving treatment and the outcomes that resulted:
Groups > Autoimmune Diseases > Stem cell therapy? > https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/stem-cell-therapy-3/
Groups > Bones, Joints & Muscles > Stem cell therapy for knees with osteoarthritis > https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/stem-cell-therapy-2/
Groups > Bones, Joints & Muscles > Stem cell therapy for arthritic knees > https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/stem-cell-therapy-for-arthritic-knees/
Here is also some additional information from Mayo Clinic's Regenerative Medicine Consult Service if you are seeking therapies available at Mayo Clinic, or just more information about the treatment in general:
Regenerative Medicine Consult Service Process
Transplant Call-in Center
What to expect when you call the number:
– An employee will answer and ask the nature of why you are calling
– Say you are interested to stem cells for osteoarthritis or whichever joint ails you
– The employee will funnel your call to the appropriate coordinators from there
– For joint issues, you will be transferred to PMR (Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation)
Appointment coordinators will ask more specific questions (inclusion and exclusion criteria)
If you meet the criteria:
– You will be asked to send in your records and a doctor will look at it in a case-by-case basis
Important Notes to be Aware of:
– PMR is a busy practice, so wait times may exist but answers will be given
– If a treatment exists in the clinic for a diagnosis (i.e. Leukemia) stem cells are not offered
– Price is out of pocket
Types of stem cell treatments offered are Bone marrow aspirate concentrate (BMAC) injections and Platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections. You can find more specific information on these types of injections here, http://mayocl.in/2AUIoAn.
@jmcamden9687, if you are comfortable sharing, what is the diagnosis that your husband is dealing with that your providers suggested stem cells for as a possible solution for some of his pain?
Connect with thousands of patients and caregivers for support and answers.
Already have an account? Sign In