Someone posted back in 2012 about Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
3. Believes that she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
4. Requires excessive admiration
5. Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with her expectations
6. Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve her own ends
7. Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
8. Is often envious of others and believes others are envious of her
9. Shows arrogant, haughty behavior or attitudes.
My Ex Husband has displayed this for many years. I wanted to know if his actions sound like he might have this problem. I am concerned that this NPD behavior could spill over to our 2 children living with him now. He has created MANY companies over the years, but doesn't make money barely to meet everyone's needs that a Father should. He doesn't want to keep a job, because he would work for someone else instead of having control working for himself, even though he barely makes money. He gets government assistance and child support from me. He creates these companies like he is the CEO of a company and has not earned anything for that title. He has repeatedly burned friendships over the years once he is done with them, moves on to the next. He seems to have people give him things, like money or something for almost free. He talked about how his parents had things the whole time we were married and we were not going over to their house because he did not want to appear to use their things...would say it in a way that was envious. Complained how they had things and we did not, and why would they buy something nice if we were struggling financially. Seems to hit high and lows and has had some depression issues in his life. He will sit in front of his computer every day and say he has applied at 100 places online, but when he gets an offer for a job that is paying less than what he thinks he is worth, he declines it all together or works their for a little while, then says he doesn't like how they run things. Always an excuse. He has made more Business Plans than I can say for sure, it is many. He will spend a lot of time doing this, but not making money for his family. Please let me know more about NPD. Thank you.