Has anyone tried reflexology for their neuropathy?

Posted by maria7521 @maria7521, Aug 1, 2018

Has anyone tried reflexology for their neuropothy? Just wondering if anyone has had success?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@wake

I have diabetic neuropathy that is beginning to affect my ability to walk, sleep, etc. I'm only 52 so I am trying get my arms (or legs 😀) around this before it's too late. Has anyone tried reflexology (foot message)? I had my first 45 minute session last week and SEEMED to get some relief the following day. My understanding is this therapy may, over time, open up the lymph system and increase blood flow.

Jump to this post

@wake and @clcaev, I moved your questions about reflexology and neuropathy to this existing discussion where @maria7521 asked the exact same question:
- Has anyone tried reflexology for their neuropathy? https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/reflexology/

I did this so you can also connect with @johnbishop @artscaping @mlross4508 @geronimo1 and others.

Wake, sometimes things that "seem" to help can give hope. Do you plan to go back for more sessions?

@wake

I have diabetic neuropathy that is beginning to affect my ability to walk, sleep, etc. I'm only 52 so I am trying get my arms (or legs 😀) around this before it's too late. Has anyone tried reflexology (foot message)? I had my first 45 minute session last week and SEEMED to get some relief the following day. My understanding is this therapy may, over time, open up the lymph system and increase blood flow.

Jump to this post

Hi @wake and @clcaev, I haven't tried reflexology but @artscaping has experience with Myofascial Release Therapy (MFR) and may be able to share how it's helped her. Here is some information on reflexology for neuropathy that might be helpful.

Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy – Massage for Neuropathy
https://www.foundationforpn.org/living-well/integrative-therapies/massage/

Reflexology in the management of chemotherapy induced peripheral neuropathy: A pilot randomized controlled trial
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1462388917302405

Good evening @wake and @clcaey. I am @artscaping and am responding to your inquiries about reflexology and MFR (myofascial release therapy). I noticed that on the Foundation for PN site they refer to Connective Tissue Massage therapy in this way......."Connective tissue massage is similar to myofascial release in that it involves working with the body’s fascia, or soft tissue, to relieve pain, tightness, and discomfort. The idea behind connective tissue massage is that restriction in one area of the body negatively affects other areas of the body. Practitioners of this technique “hook” their fingers into the connective tissue and utilize pulling strokes to lengthen the area. Benefits include pain reduction, tension relief, improved mobility, and stress reduction."

My introduction to MFR therapy began about 7 or 8 years ago when my neurologist was in the process of diagnosing my SFN....small fiber neuropathy. At the time, I was having severe pain and was also becoming very depressed about my future. I was struggling with reactions to Gabapentin and my neurologist had requested lidocaine compounds as a possible source of relief.

In the small village where I lived, one of my friends was a PT who had just completed courses in MFR. She suggested that I let her try and see what she could do. It was the first time that I recognized some relief. When I planned a trip to MN to visit, she found an Expert level MFR therapist for me, and the rest is history.

At this point, I have two sessions a week. As the SFN continues its progressive journey, I can look forward to a number of benefits. First....I can now drive my car in spite of foot neuropathy. I can go grocery shopping without needing a scooter. I can play with my grandchildren down on the floor and get up when necessary.

With scar tissue build-up after a TKR, I was dumbfounded. It took about 6 weeks for the fascia restrictions to be removed and they have never returned. Barometric pressure below 30 sends me running for a session and helps me through these atmospheric attacks.

At this point, I actually have two MFR therapists at every session because there is so much to do. And I will share with you that often I leave in pain because of the intensity of the restrictions. I always know that when I wake up the next morning, I will then reap the benefit of the MFR session.

If you need additional help you can find it at http://www.myofascial.com including a Find a Therapist section. If you need some assistance I am happy to help you.

What do you think would be most helpful?
May you be free of suffering and the causes of suffering.
Chris

Please sign in or register to post a reply.