Provocative Angiogram

Posted by beahind @beahind, Jun 27, 2017

The cardiologist mentioned that they may do stents at the same time as my angiogram. Is this a common treatment for Prinzmetal?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Heart & Blood Health Support Group.

@beahind I appreciate the proactive approach you have taken to get the best medical care possible! Teresa

After 26 months, a few false diagnosis', and a medication prescribed that is not safe for those with a family history of congenital heart issues I had to get proactive because the doctors sure weren't. Menopausal, overweight by 30 pounds, female and bipolar 2 in small hospital ERs. I didn't have much hope of open minded health care when the ecgs came back negative. May the next woman receive better care because of my experience. The hardest thing was learning to decipher my symptoms. After the Cipralex it was a roller coaster ride, with symptoms and triggers coming so quickly I could hardly keep up. I finally gave the colchicine a fair try ( lost 3.5 inches of my waist and six pounds in two days) and doubled the Diltiazem which slowed the spasms down to bearable. I ate popcorn through the spasms one night, and did the same with granola another night to test and see if it was esophageal. My last trip to ER the doctor told me it was a hernia. When I asked why the nitro was helping and why the inside of my left arm was still numb after two hours the dr shrugged and left. I kept hearing that vasospastic angina is too rare to be a consideration. Maybe the reason it is rarely diagnosed is because many people are shamed into suffering in silence and/or patients are left to wait until they progress to the classical heart attack before they get help. What this disease needs is a public profile.

@beahind

After 26 months, a few false diagnosis', and a medication prescribed that is not safe for those with a family history of congenital heart issues I had to get proactive because the doctors sure weren't. Menopausal, overweight by 30 pounds, female and bipolar 2 in small hospital ERs. I didn't have much hope of open minded health care when the ecgs came back negative. May the next woman receive better care because of my experience. The hardest thing was learning to decipher my symptoms. After the Cipralex it was a roller coaster ride, with symptoms and triggers coming so quickly I could hardly keep up. I finally gave the colchicine a fair try ( lost 3.5 inches of my waist and six pounds in two days) and doubled the Diltiazem which slowed the spasms down to bearable. I ate popcorn through the spasms one night, and did the same with granola another night to test and see if it was esophageal. My last trip to ER the doctor told me it was a hernia. When I asked why the nitro was helping and why the inside of my left arm was still numb after two hours the dr shrugged and left. I kept hearing that vasospastic angina is too rare to be a consideration. Maybe the reason it is rarely diagnosed is because many people are shamed into suffering in silence and/or patients are left to wait until they progress to the classical heart attack before they get help. What this disease needs is a public profile.

Jump to this post

@beahind - Good on you for fighting the "Good Patient Fight." One of the shortfalls with some medicos is that they forget that it is you living in your own body, not them. It is your body, and your symptoms. Duh-h-h... "nitro was helping...inside of my left arm was still numb after two hours" does not require an M.D., or a "Stay @ The Holiday Inn Express" to know it likely IS NOT a hernia. Keep on trucking'...

The worst trigger I have is Cipralex. Is there anyone else out there that has found an increase is spasms due to a medication or a chemical?

Hi @beahind,

You will notice that I combined and moved your posts to this existing discussion, so you could meet some of the other Connect members discussing Prinzmetal angina/Variant angina in one place.
If you are replying by email, I recommend clicking on the blue VIEW & REPLY button, and it will take you directly to this discussion where you will be able to see everyone's welcoming responses.

I would also encourage you to view this discussion, PRINZMETAL ANGINA/VARIANT ANGINA, http://mayocl.in/2tnlAo9, where you will meet @lisab62 @the3shus @cherfenn @brenda88, and other Connect members who can give you some valuable insight.

So tired. 137 nights of angina. With the increased diltiazem and .8 nitro patch I'm handling it better but every night the angina comes calling. I'm on the waiting list to get set up for a gastroenterologist appointment. Yup, you heard that right. I'm on the waiting list to get put on the waiting list for an appointment. Receptionist tells me that within the next two weeks I'll get a call to set up an appointment in November. They've already had the referral for a month. Sorry for grumbling here. Spasms have been intermittent for hours and I've lost my sense of humour.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.