Oral cancer and Severe oral dysplasia

Posted by Liz1 @elizabethbryant, Jan 20, 2017

What is the treatment for severe dysplasia developed, after partial removal of tongue from cancer.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Head & Neck Cancer Support Group.

100% True. But what should one due after the cancer was removed and one is left with severe dysplasia,
I have reduced stress considerably, but some things are unavoidable. I must work inside myself
as my life has changed totally since surgery. It is inside of one that peace must be a decision.

Yes.... you are right. Finding peace inside yourself, and always love who you are, each day, is the best way to overcome, all that drowns our life.

@alpaca

Elizabeth, I have been thinking about this. I often refer to the Oral Cancer Foundation website where they have some information on this topic. They mention "chemoprevention" which seems to involve taking antioxidants. "If the size of the lesion, its location, or the medical status of the patient would make surgical removal difficult, use of antioxidant supplements should be considered as “chemoprevention” to try to prevent
progression to carcinoma. Beta-carotene and the retinoids are the most commonly used antioxidant supplements for chemoprevention of oral cancer. (25) However, although antioxidant supplements have shown promise, they have an uncertain success rate and no long-term results." This was a page about dysplasia and leukoplakia. Has you doctor recommended this sort of treatment? Wishing you well.

Jump to this post

I pushed myself to the limit. I mean the limit to salvage my family and hoe, by the grace of
God the house was salvage, but what a price, wouldn't do it again. Let it all fly

@alpaca

Elizabeth, I have been thinking about this. I often refer to the Oral Cancer Foundation website where they have some information on this topic. They mention "chemoprevention" which seems to involve taking antioxidants. "If the size of the lesion, its location, or the medical status of the patient would make surgical removal difficult, use of antioxidant supplements should be considered as “chemoprevention” to try to prevent
progression to carcinoma. Beta-carotene and the retinoids are the most commonly used antioxidant supplements for chemoprevention of oral cancer. (25) However, although antioxidant supplements have shown promise, they have an uncertain success rate and no long-term results." This was a page about dysplasia and leukoplakia. Has you doctor recommended this sort of treatment? Wishing you well.

Jump to this post

Thank you so much for your advise. So many wonderful people have replied to my emails and you all have taught me a lot. This stress thing runs in my family mysister has it my cousins have it and my dear granny had it. It something you have to deal with on a daily basis. I have started walking in the mornings for about 30 mins. at a time and I speak to my Lord and ask for his guidance sometimes I keep seem to find it but yesterday was a truly awful day for me and some how He got me through it with the help of my husband.<br>So today is a new day and I feel good.<br>God Bless you and ask for his help he is there whenever you need it.<br>Patti<br>---- Mayo Clinic Connect wrote: <br><br>

@alpaca

Jump to this post

Interesting to read your post Patti. I walk nearly everyday too and find it helps a lot. I've entered a local walk to raise money for the Cancer Society so have to keep up my walking to get fit for it. One of the best things I have done since my treatment nearly 3 years ago! I find inspiration from observing nature and trying to appreciate what is good in the world. I agree that taking life one day at a time can be a benefit too.

@alpaca

Jump to this post

I have so many allergies I can't walk outside or inside, I use to love to walk.
I guess if I lived near some salt air I could walk, so much mold and undergrowth
in Central Virginia unless it is frozen over.

@alpaca

Jump to this post

That is such a pity. Sorry you can't walk outside.

@alpaca

Jump to this post

ENT just wants to cut all the severe dysplasia out. I am scheduled to see an oral
surgeon in another state. I am uncertain, he is 74 and has good credentials, it is a 5 hour
train ride staying in a hotel and finding transportation for a 30 minute ride above Baltimore.
He doesn't take Medicare, does biopsy in his office and one thing for sure
"Ladicaine does not numb the tongue or tissue under the tongue for cutting" that is a fact.

@alpaca

Jump to this post

@elizabethbryant You will be in my thoughts and prayers, Liz. Do you have an appointment date now? Teresa

@alpaca

Jump to this post

The end of March.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.