New Diagnosis - ascending aorta aneurysm

Posted by laverne @laverne, Dec 4, 2016

“Incidentental finding ” of a 4.2 CM ascending aorta aneurysm on a CT. I am 66 . My Doctor plans f/u CT in March, started me on a 3rd blood pressure pill and cholesterol med to gain better control, told to continue treadmill and free weights at the gym I joined before the diagnosis and said life as usual. Why am I still panicky?? Can this be right?

@debbydiane

Diagnosed with BAV and a 5.4cm aortic aneurysm. It was found during treatment for something else. I decided I wanted a second opinion and was referred to Mayo Clinic. In 9 days I will be having a CT Scan, Echo and labs done. Consult with the surgeon will follow. I am very anxious. I've never even had a broken bone or anything serious happen to me.

Jump to this post

Hi Teresa the CT scanned revealed that I also have CoA. This came as a complete shock. After all the testing was done I met with my surgeon for a consult. He thinks I should have surgery soon and wants to do it in August. I am going to need 2 surgeries. The first one to address the CoA and the second one to address the BAV and aneurysm after I have fully recovered from the first one. I always believed I was in pretty good health so these heart issues have thrown me for a loop. The only symptoms I can ever remember are heart flutter which never happened that often. It was not until I had the small bowel obstruction this past May that I found out about the BAV. I had no idea the obstruction and my heart issues were connected. At present I am waiting for the surgeon to get back to me to find out the exact date of surgery. BTW I really liked my cardiologist and surgeon. They were wonderful.

@debbydiane

Diagnosed with BAV and a 5.4cm aortic aneurysm. It was found during treatment for something else. I decided I wanted a second opinion and was referred to Mayo Clinic. In 9 days I will be having a CT Scan, Echo and labs done. Consult with the surgeon will follow. I am very anxious. I've never even had a broken bone or anything serious happen to me.

Jump to this post

I have a great support system. My husband is with me at all times and I have a grown daughter and parents who are going to hold things down here at home while I am in the hospital. I am glad I got the second opinion. I never would have known about the CoA. Thank you for responding.

@debbydiane

Jump to this post

Thank you!

@debbydiane

Jump to this post

Hello @debbydiane and thank you so much for letting me know how your appointment went. I know you were shocked by the unexpected DX of CoA, but isn't good to know about it rather than having it as an uncertainty?

I am so glad that you liked the cardiologist and the surgeon. A comfort level with your medical professionals tends to give you more confidence and less anxiety about a procedure. Will you let me know the date that your first surgery will be scheduled?

You mentioned that the bowel obstruction and the heart problem were connected, I'm not sure I understand. Can you tell me more about that?

Teresa

Hi! I just found out a month ago that I have a 4.0 ascending aortic aneurysm. My calcium score was 116. I saw my cardiologist and have another appointment in 2 months. I am very nervous about this. I am 67. My sister who is 60 has the same thing. She has know about it for 5 or 6 years with no change. I would love a second opinion — I live in Florida.

@debbydiane

Jump to this post

I would also like to know about the bowel and heart issue too please. I'm afraid I might have the same problem

Hello @nancykare and welcome to Mayo Connect,

Your concern about your new cardiac diagnosis is certainly understandable. Here is some information from Mayo Clinic's website with some information regarding this disorder, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/thoracic-aortic-aneurysm/symptoms-causes/syc-20350188. I would encourage you to read this information. In most cases, the more a person understands their health condition, the better prepared they can be to ask good questions of their medical team and seek out the best treatment.

You mentioned getting a second opinion. This is always a wise decision. You mention living in Florida, there is a Mayo Clinic facility in Jacksonville, FL. If you like to set up an appointment there for a second opinion, here is some information about making an appointment:

"Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people. In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need, and the team members who will care for you or your family have the expertise and skills to provide the best care possible."

Mayo Clinic in Florida
904-339-5809
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday

I look forward to hearing from you again. If you are comfortable sharing more, what symptoms led you to the diagnosis?

Teresa

I'd also like to invite @ginko @kdh1 @jpmerk @dixitworld @amiscott32 @lynnw @grandmajan to join in – I'm certain they will have some valuable insights and information to share intros group.

@nancykare

Hi! I just found out a month ago that I have a 4.0 ascending aortic aneurysm. My calcium score was 116. I saw my cardiologist and have another appointment in 2 months. I am very nervous about this. I am 67. My sister who is 60 has the same thing. She has know about it for 5 or 6 years with no change. I would love a second opinion — I live in Florida.

Jump to this post

I wonder what would cause the elevated calcium. MYbe that’s worth looking into as part of the cause. Just asking only going on what I have been reading also.

@hopeful33250

Hello @nancykare and welcome to Mayo Connect,

Your concern about your new cardiac diagnosis is certainly understandable. Here is some information from Mayo Clinic's website with some information regarding this disorder, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/thoracic-aortic-aneurysm/symptoms-causes/syc-20350188. I would encourage you to read this information. In most cases, the more a person understands their health condition, the better prepared they can be to ask good questions of their medical team and seek out the best treatment.

You mentioned getting a second opinion. This is always a wise decision. You mention living in Florida, there is a Mayo Clinic facility in Jacksonville, FL. If you like to set up an appointment there for a second opinion, here is some information about making an appointment:

"Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people. In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need, and the team members who will care for you or your family have the expertise and skills to provide the best care possible."

Mayo Clinic in Florida
904-339-5809
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday

I look forward to hearing from you again. If you are comfortable sharing more, what symptoms led you to the diagnosis?

Teresa

Jump to this post

Thank you so much for the info. I will try to get an appointment in Jacksonville.

@kanaazpereira

I'd also like to invite @ginko @kdh1 @jpmerk @dixitworld @amiscott32 @lynnw @grandmajan to join in – I'm certain they will have some valuable insights and information to share intros group.

Jump to this post

I am wondering about after surgery follow up. I think I asked this once before. After my AAA surgery I had one following up with my vascular surgeon. He said everything was great and he would see me in five (5) years. Is that normal? Please reply. Thank you kdh1

I too am concerned because I have a measurement of 4.1 on my ascending aortic aneurysms . Why do we get these? What is the treatment? and when? anniejam

@anniejam

I too am concerned because I have a measurement of 4.1 on my ascending aortic aneurysms . Why do we get these? What is the treatment? and when? anniejam

Jump to this post

Some aortic aneurysms are genetic issues and others I believe can be from lifestyle issues (smoking) or high blood pressure. From my understanding, the 4.1 cm measurement is not terribly large. I think the important thing right now is to monitor how fast it is growing, if at all. Mine has been about that size for a number of years and appears to be growing very, very slowly. I believe surgical intervention is considered when the aneurysm grows somewhere in the 5 cm range. In the meantime, I am sure your cardiologist has recommended not lifting over a certain weight — for me, no lifting over 25 lbs. Also, absolutely no snow shoveling no matter how light the snow.

At this point, I don't think you should be losing sleep over this issue but rather, assure you are being monitored, that you are following your cardio's lifestyle advice and hold off the worrying until you see how fast the aneurysm is growing. In my case, I hope to die of old age before needing surgery to repair the aneurysm.

I am 71 and have a 4.1 ascending aortic aneurysms and I am very concerned about it and what is the treatment for it? This is a repeat. Sorry. I just joined.

All not alone – in my case I’m 47 with a 3 and 5 year old . I have a 4.4 TAA with no reasonable cause that 3 dr’s can find . I fear self inflicted with blood flow supplements though told unrelated. I am devastated and petrified. All tell me monitoring and will only repair if 5-5.5 and to carry on but struggle especially when looking into my beautiful families eye’s.

Please login or register to post a reply.