Neuropathy and Blood Flow

Posted by growyourflow @growyourflow, Jun 7, 2017

Can increasing blood flow help me manage pain in my extremities diagnosed as peripheral neuropathy?
Gf

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@peach414144

without using addictive pain medication for active psoriatic arthritis where pain also is in the tendons as well as the tissues and joints how can i get pain relief. cannot use advil as i have kidney problems. (tylenol does NOTHNG) help!

Jump to this post

the addictive medication contains tylenol so then there is on only the opiod. caught in the middle. am using advil. if not then i will use the brooklyn bridge.

@rhepler74

May I ask whether a Tens Unit is part of your therapy for pain, as well as for numbness?

Jump to this post

Sounds like an option I may want to try. Also, John, or anyone else, does having Neuropathy in your legs and feet mean that when you do have complete numbness that there isn't any blood flow? My understanding is that it's the nerve responses but NOT the blood flow. Because then I'm wanting to know (my fear of course) is does that mean that your feet or legs have to be amputated? I don't have diabetes (I am prediabetic)but plan to change that with diet and exersize.
Darlia

@rhepler74

May I ask whether a Tens Unit is part of your therapy for pain, as well as for numbness?

Jump to this post

Hi Darlia - for a long time I had thought I had poor blood flow and thought it was a cause of the numbness but about 2 or 3 years ago I went to a local check your heart and arteries type clinic where they check to see if your arteries are "plugged" or has signs of blockage. They take your blood pressure on your arms and legs and also used some sort of sonogram(?) device to check how the blood is flowing. They didn't find anything and it cost me $200 but I guess the knowing helped. I'm pretty sure the numbness from neuropathy is small fiber nerve damage in my case. I'm guessing poor circulation in the legs doesn't help with neuropathy but I don't think it's a cause - but that's just an opinion and not a medical fact.

My last doctor told me I was prediabetic also but I'm not sure. Yes, I've got the indicators and I have diabetes in my family - both sisters and mother had it. The doctor also tried to get me to take statins to lower my cholesterol but I told her that statins make neuropathy worse and I will work on my diet a little harder and exercise more. I do think diet and exercise is the key so that's a great plan to use to get healthier.

Here is an easy to understand explanation of small fiber peripheral neuropathy by Matthew B. Jensen. Assistant Professor of Neurology, University of Wisconsin: https://youtu.be/S1qt-ueIP6

John

@rhepler74

Jump to this post

Darlia (@darlia) - my younger sister had diabetes and her doctors thought at one time she may have to have her feet amputated due to poor circulation or the diabetes - I'm not sure. It was always a concern of hers and mine. She passed away of lung cancer a few years ago.

I share your same concern about the feet. One thing I think is really important for people with neuropathy and diabetes is to check their feet every day and protect them. I started wearing socks all the time so that if I do hurt my feet I can see any injuries on the bottoms of the socks - yup! I have to change them stinkers every day. I started wearing socks at night after waking up in the middle of the night for a bathroom trip and seeing blood all over the floor and wondering where is it coming from. Turned out is was from the ankle and caused by a sharp toenail and rubbing my feet together in bed nicked a blood vessel just under the skin. That turned into a 911 call, a trip to the emergency room when I could stop the bleeding. Looking back at it, it was pretty funny but when it happened not so funny.

John

@rhepler74

Jump to this post

@johnbishop

This is a good example of caring for your feet. Have you ever posted this in the Diabetes discussion group? If not, it might be a good idea.

Teresa

@rhepler74

Jump to this post

Hi Teresa (@hopeful33250) - I think I've shared it once or twice but not sure if I did in the Diabetes discussion group. I actually gave a humorous speech on it at Toastmasters a few years ago. I will be happy to add it in the Diabetes discussion group if you think it's a good idea.

John

@rhepler74

Jump to this post

Yes, John, @johnbishop I think it is an important story to share - go for it!

Teresa

All I can say is neuropathy is so difficult to deal with for me. The meds designed for such do terrible things to me. Pretty discouraged about many things right now. Canceled my PT for tomorrow because of the increasing pain thus is causing. I did my best and can no longer keep pushing to do something that is causing more harm than help. I know they will not believe me and I do not care. Life currently is a defecation receptacle and I do not like admitting thus-it is what it is.

Please research and consider Pain Release Therapy from a trained masseuse. It is much more beneficial for me than PT. It is not deep tissue massage just a gentle process that pushes the pain out. I add 20 minutes of strength and suppleness Yoga every morning....and then some meditation and MM laced coffee. My small fiber neuropathy skin test was .09 for the density of nerve fibers in the defined sample. Normal is 8.4 and above. My pain level can spike to 8 or 9. So as my small fiber nerves die off...I am determined to be as pain free as possible.....and just keep moving...

It is difficult & it changes who you are. I was an on the go person & I would push thru difficult things. I have to know now that it's a different phase of my life. I do find when I do something, my pain is less, especially when it's meaningful. I have led a group called Hopekeepers for years and, like this group, we know what we mean when we say we have pain. I do other volunteering too. But when I hit the wall (can't do anything) I rest. The first 10 years were the hardest - not that the pain was worst but I had to figure it all out. You can't help feeling like you don't want to go on some days but I think it's important to find something you can do & take baby steps.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.