Share this:

Marfan Syndrome: Challenges in Diagnosing and Treating

Thu. Oct 22, 2015 at 12:00 pm CST

Recorded Oct. 22, 2015 Marfan and Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Clinic directors Juan M. Bowen, M.D., internist and consultant in cardiovascular diseases, and Alberto Pochettino, M.D., cardiovascular surgeon, discussed Marfan syndrome symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options, including optimal timing for thoracic aorta repair.  A live question and answer session followed the presentation.

Would you like to:

Learn More about Marfan Syndrome

Learn More about Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm

Schedule your appointment

Please login or register to post a question.

0 new updates since last refresh

Should a marfan syndrome and vascular Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and has PVL and is highly fuctional CP. Be a good candidate for aorta repair?

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 1:03pm CST

The webinar has concluded. In the following week we will work on answering your questions that were not addressed during the webinar.

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 1:02pm CST

m.camp5263

m.camp5263 wrote:

Also from previous post...once dissected and repaired, life expectancy and ADL?

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:59pm CST

jeannedunn

jeannedunn wrote:

Is it possible for a Marfans patient to NEVER haave to have thoracic aorta repair? My son's aorta measures out at approx. 45 mm, but has not grown since he began a combination of attenolol and Losartan.

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:58pm CST

m.camp5263

m.camp5263 wrote:

During surgery for AVR/MVR replacement/repair, and the marfan wasn't diagnosised earlier, and the aorta ruptured during surgery(and yes, she survived)...what type of doctor will be best for her now, what can she expect, and there is a spinal problem dected, [...] View full text  

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:58pm CST

randiealf

randiealf wrote:

Can you speak further about the reduced life span for marfan patients who have had dissections and had most of their aorta repaired?

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:55pm CST

Anonymous wrote:

What are the most important precautions and information to include in a school health care plan for a child with Marfan?

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:53pm CST

Anonymous wrote:

Can it be passed from grandparents if the parents don't have it?

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:52pm CST

robbocks

robbocks wrote:

Does atherosclerosis present a heightened risk for Marfan patients?

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:50pm CST

Where is the back pain?

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:48pm CST

What are the spinal and neurological impacts of Marfan Syndrome?

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:46pm CST

sereenee

Serene E wrote:

There hasn't been a medication to replace Coumadin yet? The blood tests and adjusting medication is a lot of trouble.

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:43pm CST

behnazj

Maya wrote:

What are the chances of Aortic issues occurring for a 5 year old who has the genetic mutation with no family back ground but a loose lens in one eye. in usual cases? currently there are no issues. Parents don't [...] View full text  

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:41pm CST

Anonymous wrote:

My daughter is 12 years old. Can she still participate in sports and activities with her friends?

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:35pm CST

ahashemi

ahashemi wrote:

Dr. Deyle, My daughter has dislocation of lenses and we have gone through testing including genetic testing to see if it is related to Marfan Syndrome. Cardiology came back negative, she has no issues for now. However her FBN1 gene [...] View full text  

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:35pm CST

Anonymous wrote:

What should I do if my insurance won't cover genetic testing?

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:34pm CST

artaa

Sara wrote:

When will the aortic enlargement show , at what age does it start to show?

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:32pm CST

robbocks

robbocks wrote:

How does pectus excavatum factor into the risk of aorta dissection? What are the risks/benefits of repairing the pectus excavatum?

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:31pm CST

If someone is diagnosed with Vascular Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome can or should the person have aorta repair?

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:29pm CST

Can you talk about normal growth/BMI assessment for Marfan pts? I am a dietitian who has seen some under wt Marfan pts.

Posted Thu, Oct 22 at 12:27pm CST