Share this:

Living liver donor

Posted by Anonymous-91df96e0 in About Kids & Teens, Dec 26, 2011

I'm considering being tested to see if I am a match for a little girl in my community that is in need of a liver.
I'd like to know if anyone in this discussion group has had any experience as a living donor?

Tags: Other, transplants

Cmogey likes this

Posted by @nativefloridian, Dec 29, 2011

I have no experience, however, I just wanted to tell you that I think you are very generous, thoughtful and brave to consider being a living liver donor. If you can save the child and are able to do it, I think that is great!

Posted by @cmathews, Dec 30, 2011

I have no experience in this either, but like the pp, I think you are a very kind and special person for you to even consider this. People like you make the world a better place!

Posted by @livingdonor101, Dec 31, 2011

I would encourage you to educate yourself as much as possible. Find out the details of your surgery (open, laparoscopic, etc) and what that entails. Find out how many donor procedures the surgeon has done, and ask for the liver donor mortality and complication rate.

Adult to child liver donation is safer than adult to adult, because if the recipient is a child, the smaller lobe is taken from the recipient. However, there is NO long-term data on live liver donors of any time. See the liver donor pages on and look up the studies referenced for more information (google scholar is very useful in this regard). If you have any questions, feel free to send me, the site owner, an email.

Whatever you decide, you have to be your own advocate. Take care of yourself first.

Posted by @smanthasj, Apr 4, 2012

What a wonderful gift you are willing to consider giving. Blessing to you and your support team as you make the best decision.

Posted by @vision77, May 15, 2012

Hello! I do not have any experience as a living donor. However, I also am looking into becoming a living liver donor for my sister. I will look into www/ Just confirmed that we share the same bloodtyping. God Speed.

Posted by @alexsimon, May 16, 2012

Hello -
Here is a link to a story of someone else doing a living liver donation:

Also more information is available here:

If you would like to talk to someone at the Transplant Center contact information can be found here:

Please login or become a member to post a comment.