Knee replacement components

Posted by bushy @bushy, Dec 22, 2020

I recently got a copy of X-rays of my knee replacements; and between the two parts of each knee appliance (upper and lower), there's a blank space which originally contained the healthy cartilage-the cartilage I eventually wore out. What's there now? Something must cushion the joint. I can't remember what my surgeon said took the place of eroded cartilage. Someone?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

Hello @bushy, High-density plastic replaces cartilage on the shin and kneecap components. Mayo Clinic shows some pictures of the different components on the following page..

– Knee replacement surgery:

Please sign in or register to post a reply.