COVID: July and Still No Decisions About Public Schools Reopening
What are parents deciding? Will children be attending if campuses reopen? Will many choose to continue online schooling? How are others deciding what to do? How are others weighing the pros and cons of either option? This is weighing heavily on many of us and some are seeking creative, alternative solutions for schooling in the fall.
My family, including a 10 and 15 yr old, moved to Boulder, CO August a yr ago. My daughter has always been very involved and supportive of school, sports and community activities however, the family is still making new friends and finding her niche.
One Boulder friend has boys the same grades as ours and in discussing fall plans, she said that due to serious, chronic asthma for the younger son, they are exploring the possibility of hiring a certified teacher to teach a group of 4 or 5 others of the same age. Luckily we don’t have the health concerns this family is contending with but we are concerned about the emotional impact if they choose something other than onsite school or another alternate form instruction.
Both boys are very social. The younger participated in a very small ice hockey group this summer and the older is working out for football with exercises and conditioning but no physical player contact at his new high school campus.
In the coming weeks, school districts throughout the country will be making their district plans public. In the meantime, what are other families considering and weighing as options?