@cila Cila, I am going to answer your post on a new Thread “Inhaled Amikacin” because Inhaled Amikacin is not that common .. I think people newly diagnosed will be looking for help/information so I will not only try to answer your question with what worked for me in terms of equipment when I was diagnosed .. but also whatever tips I can supply from my File Cabinet. Hope some of it is Helpful! Hugs! Katherine
@cila on Fri, Jun 16
Katherine, do I need to buy the compressor separate from nebulizer? Is it better to get the portable or the hand held. They can’t send me the Amikacin until I have the machine. My Dr. did not tell me anything or prefer me for this. Thank you all for your help and I’m glad I have you all to guide me. I really appreciate this forum, you are all God sends. Thanks! Blessing to all! Cila
From my File Cabinet
1. PARIO VIOS LC PLUS ADULT AIROSOL NEBULIZER COMPRESSOR .. found a good price at:
2. PARI LC PLUS RESUABLE NEBULIZER $69.75
3. Trek® S Carrying Case Part Number: 047F3000
4. Pari Trek S Portable Compressor Nebulizer Aerosol System $65 (if you travel a lot) https://www.healthproductsforyou.com/p-pari-trek-s-portable-compressor-nebulizer-aerosol-system.html?gclid=CJuNttbkwtQCFQgMaQodpA0MmQ
TIP: The only other tip was we travel a lot so I purchase a 2nd Pari that was smaller but took longer. I would envy you if a newer unit has come out that would take a shorter time. Personally it always took me close to a half hour to get the Amikacin in my lungs .. no matter how deeply I tried to breathe .. AND if I tried not to pay too much attention to a TV program that I was trying to distract myself with! BUT I got healthy so DO IT! In the end all this is worth it .. GO FOR IT! Good luck .. hope some of this has helped.
Inhaled Amikacin there was a stress on STERILIZATION!
MY DIRECTIONS: .. THEY MAY HAVE CHANGED SINCE 2011!!
1. If you wish to use Mayo Pharmacy, you will need to call the pharmacy to set up a mail order account. The phone number is 1-800-445-6326, and press “0” to speak with a live person. They will ask you for your mailing address as well as your credit card information and prescription insurance information, if not already on file. If you travel, just let them know to which address you wish to have your prescriptions sent.
2. Once you have an official amikacin prescription from your doctor, contact the pharmacy and ask them to mail the Amikacin out to you. The first prescription will be for one vial, for your test dose. Once you receive the medication, please call your physician to arrange for the administration of your test dose. If your doctor is unfamiliar with this procedure, then s/he will need to contact Dr. Aksamit.
3. In addition to the amikacin, you will also need normal saline (which will be included) for diluting the amikacin prior to inhalation. Your doctor will also need to supply you with, or write a prescription for, a nebulizer (machine for administering inhaled medication).
1.Use a clean syringe each time you enter an amikacin vial. Reorder the syringes each month when you refill the amikacin.
2. Needles/syringes should be disposed of by placing them in a “sharps container”. Syringes should be dropped into the container needle end first, and we do not recommend recapping the needle. While sharps containers can be purchased, you can also make your own by re-using an empty hard plastic bottle, such as one used for liquid laundry detergent, shampoo, wet wipes, coffee, etc. The container should be labeled, “Do Not Recycle: Household Sharps”, and may be placed with the cover on in the trash, though you may wish to check to see whether there are any sharps collection sites in your area (which are considered safer than placing sharps in your trash).
1.In 4-Cup Plastic Measuring Cup http://smile.amazon.com/Norpro-4-Cup-Plastic-Measuring-Cup/dp/B000HJBFFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462336680&sr=8-1&keywords=plastic+4+cup+measuring+cup Took apart and washed the nebulizer parts in antibacterial dish soap in HOT water .. rinsed carefully in HOT water. Let sit overnight in to dry in measuring cup. In morning transferred clean parts into a “baby bottle sterilizer”. From the millions of things I had researched .. I had read about this trick .. a whole lot easier than trying to boil the parts for thirty minutes! By having a week’s supply of the nebulizer and this sterilizer .. I was able to make a frankly unpleasant task a little less unpleasant AND keep myself safe. Maybe someone else can come up with something better/easier but this is the best I could come up with. Mine was: The First Years Power of Steam Electric Steam Sterilizer from: http://smile.amazon.com/First-Years-Power-Electric-Sterilizer/dp/B002WN2B6O?ie=UTF8&keywords=baby%20bottle%20sterilizer&qid=1462337037&ref_=sr_1_12_s_it&s=baby-products&sr=1-12