IBS or something else?

Posted by tk731_2000 @tk7312000, Jul 16, 2011

I was diagnosed with IBS last November. My GI has had me on multiple medications to treat the symptoms. It now seems like I have the exact same symptoms that I had last year at this time. I continue to have no appetite, loose stools, and weight loss. I started last March at 145lbs and am now down to 116lbs. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have done a food journal, changed my diet, etc....I am tired and need suggestions!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Digestive Health Support Group.

@kariulrich

This is my personal opinion- I think many times vascular disease is over looked when it comes to the GI tract and symptoms. The arteries that supply the gut can develop stenosis for a variety of reasons. When this happens our bodies adapt by making collateral blood flow. In some cases the collateral blood flow is not enough and you can develop an abdominal angina.
Here is great link that explains it better: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/intestinal-ischemia/DS00459

Jump to this post

Thank you Kari! The enough sounds very familiar. I will be sure to check with my doc on this also!

@ambermartin

What meds were you put on last year? Did they help? Do you still take them?

Jump to this post

What are the side effects of colestid? I have been taking Lomotil and the side effects are really starting to get to me.

@ambermartin

What meds were you put on last year? Did they help? Do you still take them?

Jump to this post

No side effects for me!

This has been removed for violation of our <a href='/terms-of-use'>terms of use</a>.

@kariulrich

This is my personal opinion- I think many times vascular disease is over looked when it comes to the GI tract and symptoms. The arteries that supply the gut can develop stenosis for a variety of reasons. When this happens our bodies adapt by making collateral blood flow. In some cases the collateral blood flow is not enough and you can develop an abdominal angina.
Here is great link that explains it better: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/intestinal-ischemia/DS00459

Jump to this post

Totally agree with Kari - I went through the WHOLE GI workup and found out years later that it all comes down to a vascular issue. My celiac and mesenteric arteries were completely blocked.

@kariulrich

Jump to this post

Hi AfternoonNapper- (love your name- I can relate)! I had a celiac bypass 2 years ago. If you don't mind me asking what has been your treatment? How did the diagnosis come about. I have a vascular disease called fibromuscular dysplasia. I had a cath angiogram that confirmed median arcuate ligament compression.

@kariulrich

Jump to this post

OMG! So glad to stumble across you. I just last week went to the Cleveland Clinic and got my diagnosis of intimal FMD. I had renal, celiac, and mesenteric bypass in 2005. Unfortunately, it failed - I lost my left kidney, but my inferior mesenteric collateralized enough that I am not having major GI symptoms now. We found out about the blockages when my blood pressure went sky high and wouldn't respond to medication. My family practioner had one other patient in his career who had uncontrolled blood pressure due to renal artery stenosis, so he sent me for an MRA. It showed the renal stenosis and the celiac and mesenteric blockages. I'm blogging about FMD and trying to raise awareness. I've even applied for the Mayo Clinic's scholarship to the upcoming social media summit (you know, if you want to go read my essay and like it, lol). Also, I'm on Twitter as AfternoonNapper and have both a personal FB page and one for The Afternoon Nap Society if you'd like to connect there too!

@kariulrich

Jump to this post

Ok- we have way to much in common! I am also working on an essay also for Mayo Social Media Summit- it would be real cool if we could meet there!!!! I am on FB, Twitter and Linkedin. I am very familiar with Cleveland Clinic, I helped a young girl from South Africa get medical care - her story is on the Cleveland Clinic web site. I am FMDGirl on twitter- I will look you up on FB. I would love to chat with you sometime! Here is a link to a support group we started in the midwest, there are other FMDers that Blog also đŸ™‚
http://www.mwva.org- SO COOL you are using social media for awareness!

@beachwalker

This has been removed for violation of our <a href='/terms-of-use'>terms of use</a>.

Jump to this post

I'm confused? What has been removed? did I post something I was not suppose to?

@beachwalker

Jump to this post

Im confused too... I don't know why the reply was removed!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.