Share this:
billmoore

I had a radical prostatectomy in 2001. My pre-surgery PSA was 11, [...]

Posted by @billmoore in Cancer, Apr 30, 2014

I had a radical prostatectomy in 2001. My pre-surgery PSA was 11, my Gleason score was 7-8, and there was cancer in the seminal vesicles, but none in the margins or lymph nodes. I've had no post-op treatment of any kind. My post-op PSA went to less than .04, but has gradually crept up over the 13 years since my surgery and is now .31. The increase has been roughly linear. I was at .15 in 2008, and experienced a .03 decrease in 2011. I am not one to pursue aggressive measures to stomp out a condition that may or may not be indicative of a recurrence. And in fact, in a discussion with my urologist two years ago, I was told that based on the very slow progression of my PSA, I may just be harboring some residual condition that's not going anywhere, and that he could see no reason for further treatment unless I were to experience a sudden and significant PSA spike. I am 71 years old, in excellent physical condition, and have no other health issues. What would you recommend?

Tags: Prostate Cancer, radical prostatectomy, Cancer, PSA test

Posted by @Margaret_Marie, May 1, 2014

Hi @billmoore. I would suggest posting in the cancer group to connect with others who have had similar conditions: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/cancer. Otherwise, @nicoleferrara may have some resources to share with you about prostate cancer.

BuckyFestoon

Posted by @BuckyFestoon, Jul 2, 2014

Bill -

Make an appointment with Dr. Eugene Kwon (Mayo Clinic Urology) ASAP and tell him Paul Dickie sent you. If you are interested in the gory details of my miraculous recovery from extensive stage IV let me know @BuckyFestoon. Don't ignore even a small rise in PSA following a radical prostatectomy!!!!!

Please login or become a member to post a comment.