How can I tell if I have IBS or chronic pancreatitis?

Posted by just @just, Feb 3, 2012

I have had different stomach pain for 30 years now. I have had my gall bladder removed. My doctor recently told me I have IBS. I think I have both IBS and chronic pancreatitis. Am concerned about not being treated completely and damaging my pancreas. Has anyone experienced chronic pancreatitis and if so, what were your symptoms? My upper stomach will hurt like crazy and almost feel hard. It is difficult to sit still when this happens. My heart rate will increase; and a new symptom now is a pain in my middle, right back a little below my shoulder blade. Sometimes the pain is enough to reduce me to tears. The major part of the pain will last 1-8 hours. When the pain subsides, I will have slighter pain in my abdomen that I describe feels like I have been punched over and over and I will be exhausted and these latter 2 symptoms will last about a day. I do have other, different symptoms, which my doctor is treating me for GERD and IBS, which I believe is correct; however, the pain I have described he is lumping into IBS as well and I am concerned it is chronic pancreatitis which has gone on for 30 years. Any advice? Thank you.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Digestive Health Support Group.

I have been dealing with a lot of pain & high lipase and amylase enzyme levels for years now. No one can seem to find anything else out of the ordinary with me though, other than my complaints of pain, diarrhea, nausea, weight gain, etc. I have even had my gallbladder taken out, and it did ease my symptoms for a bit but now they are back again with a vengeance not even 6 months later. Ive been told I have costochrondritus, pancreatitis, irritable colon and an irritable stomach, each by a different doctor. I know lipase & amylase enzymes are directly linked to the pancreas, so when they are high, consistently over time...that should be a red flag to a Dr that something with the pancreas is going on...not any of the ones Ive been to appatently. Im only 37 years old, Im so tired of feeling not in control of my body & feeling like doctors dont listen. None of the doctors here can seem to agree with eachother which makes me not have a whole lot of confidence in any of them. All i know is, I wake up in the middle of the night crying in pain, and I pray to God whatever this is isnt life threatening because no one I'm turning to for help is doing much.

IBS flare up... geesh does it flare up then never go away? Debilitating left side pain! 3 Excedrin get rid of it for a bit but it always comes bacl full force when they wear off. Im also taking another pill that disolves under my tounge. I need to change my diet but I am having a hard time. I just dont know where to start. I do like the banana toast apple sauce and rice idea... im going to start that tomorrow. Should I just do one or are all okay to eat? The pain has sent me to the hospital 4 times and the doctor more times then I can count. I saw a gastrologist they told me to do the FODMAP OR FODMOP diet... havent even tried its all so overwhelming. It is a whole lifestyle change. I feel like I am dieing everyday. Thank God for this pill that dissolves or I would have lost my mind entirely.

@jessicaferrante, Hi Jessica, i also have IBS_C. Curious, what pill are you taking that dissolves under the tongue? I have been taking Bentyl for probably 30 years. There must be a lot of new stuff out there i dont know about. Thanks, Danyb

@danybegood1

@jessicaferrante, Hi Jessica, i also have IBS_C. Curious, what pill are you taking that dissolves under the tongue? I have been taking Bentyl for probably 30 years. There must be a lot of new stuff out there i dont know about. Thanks, Danyb

Jump to this post

Im sorry you have been dealing with this for 30 years I'm praying to God that this goes away or it's a nightmare that's just going to go away. Levsin 0.125 MG. I believe I got the off-brand which is Hyoscyamine. This is awful!!! Take care.

I have Bentyl as well but it really doesnt help me

@danybegood1

Jump to this post

@danybegood1

Jump to this post

@Jessica ferrante, Thank you so much! Yeah, this is something ive never heard of. Good luck to you on your quest for pain relief. I just saw my cardiologist today. My stress test looked fine but i have to lose weight and get my cholesterol down. Big surprise there. Thanks for the info, Danyb

Hello @ree1 and @jessicaferrante,

Welcome to Connect; I'm so sorry to learn about your struggles with pain, and sincerely glad that you've joined us in this group.

I'd encourage you to view these past discussions in which Connect members have shared similar symptoms.
– Colitis; Gastritis; Ulcerative Colitis; IBS https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/colitis-gastritis-ulcerative-colitis-ibs/
– Chronic Abdominal Pain https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/chronic-abdominal-pain/

In the meantime I'm tagging members @gman007 @twinskl @freemary @gman007 @amwein @tnabs2008, all of whom have experience with acute or chronic pancreatitis, or are caring for those with pancreatitis. I hope they will share their experiences.

@ree1, I found this recent study in one of the online medical journals, regarding high lipase and amylase enzyme levels, which might interest you:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4299384/
Have your doctors ordered or have you already completed a lipase test and amylase test?

@jessicaferrante, I do agree that changing your diet can be a significant lifestyle change; here's a very interesting clinical update from Mayo Clinic, with regard to IBS and diet:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-professionals/clinical-updates/digestive-diseases/the-role-of-lifestyle-related-treatments-for-ibs
May I ask if you've consulted a nutritionist or dietitian for your IBS?

I am so very sorry for your pain and pray that you have already received an answer and some type of treatment plan. I will tell you that the pain you describe sounds very much like acute pancreatitis. I repeat this often, but women who have experienced child birth, kidney stones and pancreatitis are first, very unlucky, but, everyone has told me that the pain of pancreatitis is the worst. Mine begins just below my rib cage and radiates into my back and eventually seems to envelope my entire abdomen. The first major acute attack I had began on a Friday and I am surprised I didn't OD on antacids, because it began as if I was experiencing either a heart attack or my esophagus was going to rupture. I don't like to cause panic, but if you have not had an endoscopy where a scope has been used to look at your pancreas, I would request one immediately. I had a tumor that required the removal of about one third of my pancreas and had not been see on my annual CT scan. An endoscopy doc was going to give me what is known as a celiac plexus block and discovered the tumor. Thank God, it was benign, but pancreatic cancer has the highest mortality rate of all cancers, to my knowledge and the primary reason is that doctors who do not see it in high volumes don't recognize it. It also still carries the stigma of being an alcoholics disease and uninformed physicians assume, incorrectly, that even with the correct diagnosis, the individual is still going to slowly kill themselves. I have a congenital defect that causes poor drainage from my pancreas known as pancreas divisum. Find the highest volume center for dealing with pancreatitis, that you can get to, and get there. If you have a relationship with your PCP or any other physician, ask them to please do an endoscopy just for your peace of mind and I would think your combined different DX's should get insurance approval for one. I also have IBS-C and there is no comparison of the pain. Chronic blockage may cause some pain, but it does not rise above discomfort for me and I know how to eventually solve that issue. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing and you certainly have my prayers.

@ree1

I have been dealing with a lot of pain & high lipase and amylase enzyme levels for years now. No one can seem to find anything else out of the ordinary with me though, other than my complaints of pain, diarrhea, nausea, weight gain, etc. I have even had my gallbladder taken out, and it did ease my symptoms for a bit but now they are back again with a vengeance not even 6 months later. Ive been told I have costochrondritus, pancreatitis, irritable colon and an irritable stomach, each by a different doctor. I know lipase & amylase enzymes are directly linked to the pancreas, so when they are high, consistently over time...that should be a red flag to a Dr that something with the pancreas is going on...not any of the ones Ive been to appatently. Im only 37 years old, Im so tired of feeling not in control of my body & feeling like doctors dont listen. None of the doctors here can seem to agree with eachother which makes me not have a whole lot of confidence in any of them. All i know is, I wake up in the middle of the night crying in pain, and I pray to God whatever this is isnt life threatening because no one I'm turning to for help is doing much.

Jump to this post

Ree,

I am so very sorry for your pain and pray that you have already received an answer and some type of treatment plan. I will tell you that the pain you describe sounds very much like acute pancreatitis. I repeat this often, but women who have experienced child birth, kidney stones and pancreatitis are first, very unlucky, but, everyone has told me that the pain of pancreatitis is the worst. Mine begins just below my rib cage and radiates into my back and eventually seems to envelope my entire abdomen. The first major acute attack I had began on a Friday and I am surprised I didn’t OD on antacids, because it began as if I was experiencing either a heart attack or my esophagus was going to rupture. I don’t like to cause panic, but if you have not had an endoscopy where a scope has been used to look at your pancreas, I would request one immediately. I had a tumor that required the removal of about one third of my pancreas and had not been see on my annual CT scan. An endoscopy doc was going to give me what is known as a celiac plexus block and discovered the tumor. Thank God, it was benign, but pancreatic cancer has the highest mortality rate of all cancers, to my knowledge and the primary reason is that doctors who do not see it in high volumes don’t recognize it. It also still carries the stigma of being an alcoholics disease and uninformed physicians assume, incorrectly, that even with the correct diagnosis, the individual is still going to slowly kill themselves. I have a congenital defect that causes poor drainage from my pancreas known as pancreas divisum. Find the highest volume center for dealing with pancreatitis, that you can get to, and get there. If you have a relationship with your PCP or any other physician, ask them to please do an endoscopy just for your peace of mind and I would think your combined different DX’s should get insurance approval for one. I also have IBS-C and there is no comparison of the pain. Chronic blockage may cause some pain, but it does not rise above discomfort for me and I know how to eventually solve that issue. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing and you certainly have my prayers.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.