Too old for a kidney transplant? Am also diabetic

Posted by Rick @lastdaze04, Jul 18, 2014

Hello All: My name is Rick Richards I have come to a crossing point in my life, one I knew that was going to come but not this quick. I have a question if it in the wrong forum please direct to the correct one.
I need a Kidney transplant (Kidney forum??) But my Dr said that it will not happen because I am too old and a Type 2 Diabetic. Is that true? I am 55 years old, only slightly over weight 206lbs and I am 6ft tall and very active, meaning I assist in the care of my four grandsons, and I have the biggest paycheck. The thought of going on Dialysis, scares the crap out of me an I love my job I am at, The thought of going on disability is abhorring, I would rather go end it all. Someone please tell me that my Dr is wrong. I already have 3 family members lined up to see if they are compatible matches. These are my immediate questions at the moment, I have a ton more in my mind, I look forward to your response.
Thanks
Rick

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Transplants Support Group.

Well, here goes...I am a soon to be 81, white female with EKD stage 4, bordering on stage 5 but still hanging in there. I'm 5'4" tall, 115 lbs and found out about my kidney problems about 12 years ago. I don't think I have too much time left until I am forced to decide what kind of dialysis I prefer or do I just say....the heck with it and see what happens next. My kidney stones were uric acid, not calcium and I'm also not a diabetic. Does anybody have any thoughts on my situation? I just joined this discussion on May 9, 2017. Thanks so much. Genie P.

@shelllady

Well, here goes...I am a soon to be 81, white female with EKD stage 4, bordering on stage 5 but still hanging in there. I'm 5'4" tall, 115 lbs and found out about my kidney problems about 12 years ago. I don't think I have too much time left until I am forced to decide what kind of dialysis I prefer or do I just say....the heck with it and see what happens next. My kidney stones were uric acid, not calcium and I'm also not a diabetic. Does anybody have any thoughts on my situation? I just joined this discussion on May 9, 2017. Thanks so much. Genie P.

Jump to this post

@shelllady, Hi, Genie, and welcome to Connect. We are here and ready to share from our own experiences. I hope that you will be receiving some input about this dialysis decision soon from others who have faced a similar decision.
My dialysis experience relatively brief in preparation for my transplant.

Here is a link to the American Association of Kidney Patients. You might find some information there.
https://aakp.org/dialysis-education/
I would like to encourage you to continue to educate yourself and your loved ones and thus have a reasonable discussion. Have you and your kidney doctor had any conversation about this?
Rosemary

@shelllady

Jump to this post

@shelllady, I noticed that you have posted this concern in several places. Have you received any helpful information, yet?
Connect has recently undergone an update. I want to be sure that your inquiry was not lost in the process.
Did you find anything helpful in the link to AAKP that I sent?
Rosemary

I was recently asked by my 78 yr old mother to assist her at the doctor's to help interpret and make health decisions with her.
Her doctor is a local immediate Care clinic..
She lost weight fast, is shaking all the time, has confusion with words,
She was told last year about stage 3 Kidney Disease. Was prescribed sertraline. Along with a good talking to about low sodium, exercise, along with drinking more water.
I'm struggling to figure out what the Stages are.
How far along she is.
What can I do, besides offer my own kidney Stat!
Litningbugz.

Even though not all cases are the same, I am currently 63 and was diagnosed with EKD in 2014 with type 2 diabetes, I did dialysis for a year before my transplant and was able to work at the same time. During my first hospital stay I started my hemodialysis. After a couple of weeks on hemo I decided to do some research and consulted my nephrologist about the options available so that I could go back to work and choose to switch to peritoneal dialysis which is done while I sleep and slowing me to continue my 8hr per day job as a sales manager ( Road Warrior). I was on PD for a year before my transparent in 2015 and still working full time.

@litningbugz

I was recently asked by my 78 yr old mother to assist her at the doctor's to help interpret and make health decisions with her.
Her doctor is a local immediate Care clinic..
She lost weight fast, is shaking all the time, has confusion with words,
She was told last year about stage 3 Kidney Disease. Was prescribed sertraline. Along with a good talking to about low sodium, exercise, along with drinking more water.
I'm struggling to figure out what the Stages are.
How far along she is.
What can I do, besides offer my own kidney Stat!
Litningbugz.

Jump to this post

@litningbugz, I want to first welcome you to Mayo Connect. We are a community of people, like yourself, who either have experienced, or are currently experiencing a vast array of medical issues. I am happy to meet you, and I look forward to continuing conversation with you.
Here is a link to information from Mayo Clinic that addresses your question about the stages of kidney failure.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/end-stage-renal-disease/diagnosis-treatment/diagnosis/dxc-20211688

I have no medical training, but I will add that transplant is considered when all other options have been exhausted.

You mentioned that your mother was diagnosed last year with the Stage 3 Kidney Disease. Are the medication and dietary and liquid intake recommendations from last year? or new?
What did the attending doctor say about her current condition? And what arrangements are there for follow-up?
Rosemary

@peterm53

Even though not all cases are the same, I am currently 63 and was diagnosed with EKD in 2014 with type 2 diabetes, I did dialysis for a year before my transplant and was able to work at the same time. During my first hospital stay I started my hemodialysis. After a couple of weeks on hemo I decided to do some research and consulted my nephrologist about the options available so that I could go back to work and choose to switch to peritoneal dialysis which is done while I sleep and slowing me to continue my 8hr per day job as a sales manager ( Road Warrior). I was on PD for a year before my transparent in 2015 and still working full time.

Jump to this post

@peterm53, Good morning, and thank you for sharing your experience. I want to extend a special welcome to you. I am a transplant recipient (liver/kidney 2009). I consider it an honor and a privilege whenever I meet a fellow recipient. I invite you to participate in any of our discussions, particularly the transplant group, where I know that your experience can be helpful to some of our members.

I would like to introduce you to @sevkira who has some questions about dialysis and transplant. I think that your experience will he helpful.
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/kidney-transplant-1/
Good to meet you,
Rosemary

@peterm53

Jump to this post

@lcamino, I want to introduce you to @peterm53. He is a kidney transplant recipient. He might have some information to guide you as you move forward.
Rosemary

@peterm53

Jump to this post

@rosemarya - Thank you!

Lynn

@peterm53

Jump to this post

Meant to say CKD

Please sign in or register to post a reply.