Share this:
coleen
@coleen

Enlarged heart

Posted by @coleen, Feb 3, 2016

Was diagnosed with an enlarged heart dr. Wants to do a sleep study I am very confused. Anyone else going through this?

Hi @coleen,
Welcome to Connect. This can be very confusing if your doctor didn’t explain the reason for the sleep study and the possible relationship between sleep apnea and heart health.

I’m tagging @cynaburst and @HeartPatches to bring them into this discussion.

When do you go for the sleep study and when do you see your cardiologist again?

Colleen
Connect Community Director

Do you have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? There is some evidence that people with HCM who also have sleep apnea fare worse, so they like to treat both issues. Sleep apnea can cause the body to not get enough oxygen which is bad for the cardiovascular system.

Hi coleen,
I am going to paste in here a brief explanation from mayoclinic.org on sleep apnea and influence on the heart. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sleep-apnea/basics/complications/con-20020286

“Sleep apnea is considered a serious medical condition. Complications may include:
High blood pressure or heart problems. Sudden drops in blood oxygen levels that occur during sleep apnea increase blood pressure and strain the cardiovascular system. If you have obstructive sleep apnea, your risk of high blood pressure (hypertension) is greater than if you don’t.

Obstructive sleep apnea may increase the risk of recurrent heart attack, and abnormal heartbeats, such as atrial fibrillation. Obstructive sleep apnea also increases the risk of stroke. If there’s underlying heart disease, these multiple episodes of low blood oxygen (hypoxia or hypoxemia) can lead to sudden death from an irregular heartbeat.”

I have had a sleep study in the past, one where i stayed overnight in the sleep lab and another where I just brought a device home and took it back the next morning.

Please let us know how your tests turn out if you can.

Please login or register to post a reply.