cirrhosis of the liver. My sister has been diagnosed what can we do

Posted by pleasehelpmysister @pleasehelpmysister, Aug 18, 2017

My sister has been an alcoholic for years. Now has been diagnosed with cirrhosis. I need to know any and all information anyone has as far as what we can do to try to help at home. She is so severely bloated. Her abdomen is so swollen. She can’t eat, vomiting. Her back and chest hurt. She is extremely jaundiced. She was released from the hospital this way. What can we do?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Digestive Health group.

I’m sorry to hear that your sister is having such a difficult time. I don’t know anything about cirrhosis but i wanted to give you my hopes for her getting something that will relieve some of her pain. I am also surprised the hospital released her in the condition you have described, unless she wanted to be at home and asked to be released. I hope you and she find comfort soon. Gail B. Ledesma


@pleasehelpmysister, My first advise is to get an appointment with a Gastroenterologist (GI). A gastroenterologist specializes in digestive issues – including the liver.
I am a liver/kidney transplant patient and not a medical person. I am familiar with all of the symptoms that your sister is experiencing. They are sign of cirrhosis which can be caused by a variety disease and also alcoholism. I am sorry to hear about your sister’s current misery.

Did it hospital give any follow-up directions or referrals?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.
  Request Appointment