Bland liver embolization
In Dec of 2019 I had grade 2 NET with Ki-67 of 7% tumors removed from my liver
According to my surgeon they are behaving like grade 2 NET and the chance that they are something other than NET is zero.
Thursday I am having a liver embolization done the radiologist wants to do a biopsy
My fear is that something can go wrong so why do it if nothing will be different from 2019
Has anyone else ever had a biopsy done where the tumor changed
Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuroendocrine Tumors (NETs) Support Group.
I had a liver tumor biopsy in October even though the doctors and I all knew it was a metastatic NET from an original small bowel tumor removed in 2018. Of course it confirmed that it was a NET, but the subsequent (and my first) PET scan showed wide spread of small tumors to spine and peritoneum.
Nothing “went wrong,” and in fact the resulting exam showed much more devastating spread than the doctors had expected. I started on Lanreotide and am hoping the growth of these many small metastases will be slowed.
I wish you good luck managing this scary disease.
Hello @roseflame and welcome to Mayo Connect. I appreciate you sharing your journey with NETs. You do not mention having symptoms of carcinoid syndrome but I'm wondering if this is a problem for you?
If you are comfortable sharing more, when did you begin the Lanreotide? Will you be having more scans during the next few months to see if the injections are helping?
I am glad that you posted about your concerns. We have one member, @trivia, who has also had a bland liver embolization. Here is a link where she describes this procedure and her understanding of it: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/comment/768039/.
From your post, @sophiarose, it appears that your embolization is scheduled for tomorrow. Is that still the case? I hope that all goes well for you. Has your doctor explained the procedure to you and let you know what to expect?
Thank you everyone for your support
I will be getting the liver embolization tomorrow
I opted not to do the biopsy at this time
I wish you the best, @sophiarose.
I look forward to hearing from you after the procedure. Will you post an update when you feel up to it?
Hi Teresa, Thank you for your interest. One problem that delayed diagnosis of the tumor (for 2 years!)was that I have never had any symptoms; even the urine test for carcinoid syndrome was negative.
I just had my second shot; I’m scheduled for another January 31, then one on February 28 (will be the 4th shot); that day I’m scheduled for my second PET, and the doctor says he “expects to see no growth if not shrinkage” of the existing lesions.
I’m praying he is right and that the Lanreotide will work its magic. I will surely keep you updated. This group has been so helpful in lifting my spirits.
Oh, I am so pleased to hear that this group on Mayo Connect has been helpful in lifting your spirits, @roseflame! I look forward to getting to know you as you travel this NETs journey.
Is the doctor you are seeing a NET specialist? If not, have you consulted with a NET specialist?
Thank you for your good wishes, Teresa. I am being treated by Dr. Tri Le at the University of Virginia cancer center. I am waiting for a referral to Mayo Rochester.
I had my liver embolization on the right side of my liver which is the side that had the most tumors and all went well
I need to get the
Left side done however I have opted to wait and see if the procedure worked on the right side
The recovery took about 2 weeks but now I am fine
Thank you all for your support
So good to know that your embolization went well, @sophiarose. I can understand you wanting to wait before doing the left side. How long do you intend to wait before making the decision on the second embolization?