← Return to Alzheimers: When should someone not be left alone?

Comment receiving replies

Thanks, Debra. There's no room for either of us in our local son's home. But I am searching for respite care for my husband somewhere but we live up in the mts. of northern CA so facilities are limited. The only option I've found so far is to hire a part-time licensed caregiver to supplement help by "willing and available" friends and family. Medicare will usually not pay for in house Rehab/Nursing facilities unless you're in the hospital for at least 3 days and need skilled nursing or therapy. It's probable that I'll be discharged from the hospital the next day. I've started attending a Caregiver Support Group at our hospital and may be able to get some direction from the social worker who facilitates it. I'm also in touch with the HHS office in our county. One of my closest friends is also a licensed counselor and is a good sounding board. Tomorrow i have my first appointment with the surgeon I think will be doing my surgery if necessary. I'm hoping to get more answers and guidance from him.

Jump to this post

Replies to "Thanks, Debra. There's no room for either of us in our local son's home. But I..."

Hi @leeandpat – I know what a challenge you are facing. But check with your social worker friend about Medicare in relation to respite care. The social worker that facilitates our Care Givers Support Group told us that Medicare will pay for respite care so the caregiver can get away as long as the "patient" is in a medicare-approved facility for the duration of the time. And one of our group members has used this option – getting away for a vacation herself each year while her husband is cared for in the facility. Good luck with your surgeon's appointment. Can you check with your Caregivers group and your friend to see if respite care is handled the same way there in CA?

  Request Appointment