Well I was told that my risk for cancer on my left breast was very low. But still trying to decide for peace of mind whether or not to have the bilateral. My sister was diagnosed at age 52 (3 years ago). She’s the only one from my immediate family. Just want to know what we’re the deciding factors for others.
violet, I personally would not do a mastectomy in my breast that is not showing cancer. Do a lot of ultra sounds of that breast, as they are more accurate than mammography. Make sure when they do the ultrasounds that they also do the armpits where the lymph nodes are. When I had a lumpectomy on my left breast, the surgeon found a tiny group of satellite cancer cells close to the ones that they actually saw. They wanted to give me months of radiation, which I refused. I did not want to be sick from radiation, so I took a chance, and only took my aromatase inhibitor. Its been 3 years since then, and I have had no signs of cancer again. I just took a chance, and it worked fine. I just didn't want to be sick from radiation, and apparently the aromatase inhibitor and ultra sounds/mammagrams have been fine. It' sush a personal decision, but my attitude is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." LoriRenee1