← Return to Alzheimer's: Caregiver Advice Requested

cmm740 (@cmm740)

Alzheimer's: Caregiver Advice Requested

Caregivers: Dementia | Last Active: Oct 24, 2016 | Replies (11)

Comment receiving replies

I’m so sorry that you and you’re family are going thru this. I have read some of the previous answers and I would like to add the following, It appears as though you need to intervene as soon as possible so that any available medical treatment can be given to him before he deteriorates even further. Has his mental condition degenerated to such a point that a psychiatrist could say that he’s dangerous to himself? if so I believe the law allows your doctor to give him treatment against his will. Hopefully this will prevent further rapid deterioration and slow the progression of the disease. I know that your father will be angry and perhaps your family may disagree but someone must take the responsibility to ensure that your father-in-law gets the treatment that he needs.

Jump to this post

Replies to "I'm so sorry that you and you're family are going thru this. I have read some..."

Welcome @thawyzard. I’m glad you jumped into this conversation and adding your thoughts. It sounds like you speak from personal experience. Are you or have you cared for someone with Alzheimer’s?
We look forward to getting to know you.

Thanks for your response. The psychiatrist has not yet said he’s a danger to himself, however he is making major financial decisions and not remembering he made them (such as buying a house, adding/removing people from wills, etc.). How a real estate agent would let someone that clearly does not remember having a conversation about the sale of a house, actually let that person buy a house, is beyond me. With this next big financial decision they’re doing to make with this move, we’re concerned that he’s not even being rational anymore. But the family is also too timid to step in.

In Florida there is a legal statute called The Baker Act, with the Baker Act people who are incompetent, dangerous to themselves or others can be evaluated. They can be involuntarily hospitalized. I believe there is such a statute in the state in which you reside. You could take him hopefully to a large Metropolitan Hospital with the psychiatric unit, and ask for that evaluation. Have a discussion with the evaluating psychiatrist beforehand and explain the monetary mistakes and they memory problems and explain to the doctor why you wish to have this involuntary status placed on him. After that evaluation the psychiatrist can involuntarily hospitalize him and have consultation with the proper M.D. so that he may be started on the proper medication. shortly thereafter he can be released to someone’s care. Once he is ruled incompetent, the court does this, it is a legal proceedure, he can be prevented from signing legal documents and from engaging in Business Without a court-appointed guardian to make sure that he makes good decisions.

  Request Appointment