Expert answers: How do I stay active with all of the extra commitments during the holidays?
Exercise can be difficult to fit in during the holiday season with extra events on your calendar. Here are my top tips for getting activities in during this busy time:
- Even if you can’t make exercise part your day during the busy holiday season, practice Non-exercise Activity Thermogenesis, also known as NEAT, to increase your steps.
- Schedule your workout just like you schedule your holiday activities, parties and events.
- Shorten your workouts or break them up throughout your day. Squeezing in 10-15 minutes here and there can add up quickly.
- Be creative with workouts, instead of going to the gym plan a fun activity such as cross-country skiing, snowshoeing or sledding with family and friends.
- Park your car at the back of the parking lot when going holiday shopping to add extra steps.
- Take a few laps around the grocery store or department store prior to starting your holiday shopping for more steps.
Traveling can add to the difficulty of staying active during the holidays. Here are some additional tips if you’ll be traveling this holiday season:
- Use websites for ideas workouts you can do without equipment or resistance bands and other equipment that is easy to pack in your suitcase.
- Use layovers to take a walk rather than sitting; save sitting for the airplane.
- Look for a rest area or park to stop and stretch your legs with a quick 5-10 minute walk with driving long distances.
Interested in more newsfeed posts like this? Go to the Weight Management blog.