Join Us to Celebrate National Family Caregivers Month
Are you someone helping a family member or friend through cancer treatment? If you answered yes, you are a caregiver. You may not think of yourself as a caregiver because it is something that comes naturally to you. As a caregiver it is important to make time for yourself. You may feel your needs aren’t as important right now, or that you don’t have the time or energy to change your focus. Taking time to recharge your mind, body, and spirit can help you be a better caregiver.
November is National Family Caregivers Month to recognize and honor caregivers. This year’s theme is #CAREGIVERSCONNECT to highlight the importance of connections as a way to get information about your loved one’s disease or condition, share experiences, get support, or form a closer bond with your loved one.
The Stephen and Barbara Slaggie Family Cancer Education Center will dedicate the entire month to celebrate the efforts of caregivers and provide education. Join us for a variety of FREE activities either in our center or virtually via Zoom.
See the full schedule of events for more details.
Our kick-off event on Wednesday, November 1 includes back-to-back virtual sessions between 11:30 am and 1:00 pm CST.
- 11:30 am-12:00 pm Panel discussion with Mayo Clinic experts- Joan Griffin, Ph.D., Jose Morales Rojas, M.T.S., and Ellen Wild, R.N., CHPN
- 12:00 pm-12:30 pm Laughter Yoga – Amy Kuth, M.A.
- 12:30-1:00 pm Nutrition Tips – Angie Murad, MPH, RDN, LD
On-site activities (Cancer Education Center-Gonda Lobby Level)
- Integrative therapy sessions featured every Monday. Multiple sessions will be offered between 11:00 am and 1 pm. Please call 507-266-2991 or stop in the Cancer Education Center to reserve a spot to attend.
- Art in 10 Minutes
- Caring Canines
- Caring Hands
- Large mandala to color
- Message board to share support for caregivers.
- Limited discounts to Rejuvenate Spa, giveaways, and more!
Virtual activities (via Zoom)
- Panel discussion with Mayo Clinic experts (November 1 only)
- Laughter Yoga
- Nutrition tips for cancer survivors
Zoom link to join: https://mchealth.zoom.us/j/91018187582pwd=dXBvTGNMY0I3RFBMeUdOR2NhSUhrUT09
Meeting ID: 910 1818 7582
Our activities sprinkled throughout the month are meant to reduce stress, connect you with others, and provide knowledge on how to take care of yourself. All caregivers need time for themselves - even just a few minutes can help. Caring for your own needs, hopes, and desires can give you the strength to carry on.
When was the last time you took care of yourself?