Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer deaths among cancers that affect both men and women. It’s also one of the most preventable, but one-third of adults who should be screened haven’t yet done it.
That's why we’re excited to release an original music video today as part of our #StrongArmSelfie colorectal cancer awareness campaign with Fight Colerectal Cancer (@FightCRC), which is part of its One Million Strong (OMS) movement inspired by the more than one million colorectal cancer survivors.
In addition to employees from all three Mayo Clinic campuses, it’s great to get the Mayo brothers involved, along with President Lincoln and Lady Liberty.
BBR Music Group's Craig Campbell wrote and recorded “Stronger Than That” to support the campaign, and so we volunteered to produce the video. When he was just 11, Craig lost his father to colon cancer, so he’s been a strong proponent of screening and early detection. He’s a national spokesman for @FightCRC, and is donating all of the proceeds from downloads of “Stronger Than That” to support FightCRC’s advocacy mission.
Here’s how you can join the campaign:
- Share the “Stronger Than That” YouTube video on Facebook, Twitter or other social networking sites.
- Take your own #StrongArmSelfie and post to Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Vine. Bayer Healthcare is donating $1 to FightCRC for each post, up to $25,000. If you post to Facebook, make sure it’s a public post, and tag your friends and challenge them to join you.
- Learn more about who should get screened for colorectal cancer, and when. For the general population, it should start at age 50. Discuss with your doctor when you should start, based on family history and other risk factors.
Here are three ways you can learn more:
- Watch this video from Paul Limburg, M.D., a Mayo Clinic gastroenterologist, outlining screening options.
- Attend our webinar. On Wednesday, March 25 at noon Central time, Mayo Clinic will host a live educational webinar featuring Dr. Limburg. He will share the latest information on colon cancer prevention and screening, and host a live question and answer session. Register to attend here.
- Sign up for more information. Use the form below to have information about colorectal cancer screening sent to you via email, so you can easily pass it along to encourage your loved ones to get screened.
#StrongArmSelfie, Cancer, colon cancer, colorectal cancer, Craig Campbell, Fight Colorectal Cancer, Mayo Clinic, Stronger Than That, Uncategorized